The Department of Labor (DOL) has increased posting penalties by more than $500. The penalty increase impacts three posting regulations: Family and Medical Leave Act, Job Safety: It’s the Law (OSHA), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act.
The January final rule also states that DOL expects states to increase their fines to match those at the federal level. The penalty for not posting the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster is expected to increase, as well.
2017 Posting Violation Fines
- Family Medical Leave Act = $168
- Job Safety and Health: It’s the Law (OSHA) = $12,675
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act = $20,111
- Posting Penalty for Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) is the Law = $525
- Potential federal posting penalty total is $33,477.
In addition to posting penalties, a number of additional fines will also increase under the rule. Those include fines for Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations:
- A repeated or willful violation of minimum wage or overtime laws = $1,925 per violation
- A child labor violation = $12,278
- A child labor violation resulting in serious injury or death = $55,808
- A willful or repeated child labor violation resulting in serious injury or death = $111,616
Precision Payroll provides both federal and state posters to clients at an affordable price. Contact Kiran Waheed at email@example.com.